Poll schedule for Assembly elections announced
- Assembly elections in West Bengal, Assam, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry will be held between 27th March to 29th April. The counting of votes in all the four states and one Union Territory will take place on 2nd May.
Election Commission of India
|Formed: 25 January 1950
|Headquarters: New Delhi
|CEC: Sunil Arora
'Mann Ki Baat': PM Modi to share his thoughts tomorrow
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will share his thoughts with the people in the country and abroad in the Mann Ki Baat programme on All India Radio tomorrow. It will be the 74th episode of the monthly radio programme.
|CEO: Shashi Shekhar Vempati
Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021
- Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Rural Development, Panchayati Raj and Food Processing Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021 at Noida Haat. The Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021 is being organized by the Ministry of Rural Development.
|Union Minister of State for Agriculture:
Dr. Harsh Vardhan lays foundation stone of medical college
- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare laid the foundation stone of the Mon Medical College in Mon district in the presence of Neiphiu Rio, C.M of Nagaland. This is the second medical college in the state.
|Governor: R.N. Ravi
|Chief minister: Neiphiu Rio
India, China agree to establish new hotline
- The Foreign Ministers of India and China agreed to establish a new hotline to ensure “timely communication” in the wake of last year’s border crisis but differed sharply on the way forward to restore relations.
|President: Xi Jinping
Economy & Banking
NSO expects Indian economy to contract by 8% in 2020-21
- For FY 2020-21, the National Statistical Office (NSO) expects the GDP to contract 8% compared to an earlier projection of a decline of 7.7%, signalling weaker than expected rebound in the March quarter.
National Statistical Commission
|Formed: July 12, 2006
|Headquarters: New Delhi
Cricketer Yusuf Pathan announces retirement
- India's dashing batter Yusuf Pathan has announced his retirement from all formats of the game. He played 57 ODIs and 22 T20Is for India between 2007 and 2012.He was part of the 2007 T20 World Cup as well as the 2011 ODI World Cup, both of which were won by the Indian team.
Person in News
- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has announced the appointment of Ligia Noronha of India as Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the New York Office of the United Nations Environment Programme.
|Founded: 24 October 1945
|Headquarters: New York
- The first prime minister of Papua New Guinea, Michael Somare has passed away. He was known as the “father of the nation” because he led the Pacific archipelago to independence from Australia in 1975. He had served as the prime minister of the country four times.
Papua New Guinea
|Capital: Port Moresby
|Currency: Papua New Guinean kina
World NGO Day
- World NGO Day is celebrated every year on 27th February globally. World NGO Day aims to inspire people to become more actively involved within NGOs (Charities, NPOs, CSOs) and encourage a greater symbiosis between NGOs and both the public and private sector.
Guru Ravidas Jayanti
- Guru Ravidas Jayanti is celebrated all across the country. Bhakti movement saint Guru Ravidas is well-known for making efforts in eradicating caste system. He was contemporary to Kabirdas and Mirabai was a disciple of Ravidas.