Why in news ?
Recently, Sant Kabir Das Jayanti was observed on 24th June, 2021 to mark the birth anniversary of Sant Kabirdas.
- Sant Kabir Daswas born in the city of Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. He was a 15th century mystic poet, saint and social reformer and a proponent of the Bhakti Movement.
- Kabir Das' writings had a great influence on the Bhakti movement and includes titles likeKabir Granthawali, Anurag Sagar, Bijak, and Sakhi Granth.His verses are found in Sikhism's scripture Guru Granth Sahib.
- The major part of his work was collected by the fifth Sikh guru, Guru Arjan Dev.
- Beginning:The movement probably began in the Tamil region around the 6th and 7th century AD and achieved a great deal of popularity through the poems of the Alvars (devotees of Vishnu) and Nayanars (devotees of Shiva), the Vaishnavite and Shaivite poets.
- The Alvarsand Nayanars travelled from place to place singing hymns in Tamil in praise of their gods.