PM addresses 66th Convocation of IIT Kharagpur
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the 66th Convocation of IIT Kharagpur as Chief Guest through a video conference.The Prime Minister lauded the efforts of IIT Kharagpur on the implementation of the new National Education Policy.
|Union Education Minister:
||Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank'
NFSM-Governing Council Meeting concluded
- National Food Security Mission (NFSM) -The 16th meeting of the Governing Council was held under the chairmanship of Union Minister of Agriculture Narendra Singh Tomar. He said that in the last about six and a half years, the government has taken several concrete policy decisions to increase agricultural production and farmers' income.
Kushinagar airport becomes 3rd international airport in UP
- Kushinagar Airport gets necessary clearances from DGCA to become 3rd licensed international airport of UP.This will boost tourism in the region & facilitate travel on Buddhist circuit by providing direct aviation connectivity to the city where Lord Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana.
|Governor: Anandiben Patel
|Chief minister: Yogi Adityanath
Economic Cooperation Agreement between India and Mauritius
- Signed the India-Mauritius Comprehensive Economic Cooperation and Partnership Agreement (CECPA). The settlement at Port Louis took place in the presence of the Prime Minister of Mauritius, Mr. Pravind Jagannath, and the Foreign Minister of India, Mr. S. Jaishankar.
|Capital: Port Louis
|Currency: Mauritian rupee
|Prime minister: Pravind Jugnauth
Economy & Banking
Government of India & AIIB sign agreement for $304 million
- The Government of India and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) signed a loan agreement for a $304 million Assam Intra-State Transmission System Enhancement Project to improve reliability, capacity and security of the power transmission network in the State of Assam.
|Formation: 16 January 2016
|Headquarters: Beijing, China
Tata Communications Ltd. acquisition approved
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves acquisition by Panatone Finvest Limited of Tata Communications Limited under the Competition Act, 2002. This proposed adjustment contemplates acquisition of a maximum of 26.12 percent shareholding.
|Headquarters: New Delhi
|Chairperson:Ashok Kumar Gupta
DAC approves proposals worth Rs 13,700 crore
- Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), under the chairmanship of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, has approved capital acquisition proposals of various weapons / platforms / equipment / systems required by the Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force, in New Delhi.
Ministry of Defence
|Minister of State for Defence: S.Y. Naik
|Defence Secretary: Ajay Kumar
World's largest cricket stadium inaugurated
- Motera, the world's largest cricket stadium, was inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind in the presence of Home Minister Amit Shah. The Motera Stadium near Sabarmati in Ahmedabad has overtaken Melbourne Stadium in Australia, the largest cricket stadium in the world so far.
|Full name: Sardar Patel Stadium
|Owner: Gujarat Cricket Association
Person in News
Rahul Khullar passes away
- Rahul Khullar, the former chairman of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has passed away. He was a 1975-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, who was appointed as TRAI chief in May 2012.
Central Excise Day
- Central Excise Day is celebrated every year on February 24 across India. The day is being celebrated to honour the service of the Central Board of Excise and Custom (CBEC) to the country.
Central Board of Excise and Custom
|Headquarters: New Delhi
|Chairman : M. Ajit Kumar
NGT imposes Rs 58 lakh penalty on NTPC
- The National Green Tribunal has junked a plea by NTPC seeking review of an order passed by Uttarakhand Pollution Control Board (PCB) imposing a penalty of Rs 57.96 lakh for damaging the environment.
|Chairperson: Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel
||Headquarters: New Delhi