Why in news?
Recently, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired indigenously developed, low weight, fire and forget Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM).
- MPATGM is third-generation anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) indigenously developed by DRDO.
- It has strike range of 2.5 km. It weighs around 14.5 kg to maintain man portability. It is capable of being fired from shoulder and can be used during day and night. It has minimum lateral centre and gravity offset.
- It works on fire and forget principle and is known for its top attack capabilities. It is effective against both stationary and moving targets. It will be deployed in infantry and parachute battalions of Indian Army.
- It would provide a boost to the Indian Army in decimating and tackling tank regiments of the enemy.
- It is best suited for direct attacks on adversary outposts and anti-tank warfare in mountainous terrain.