Why in News ?
The Government of India has sanctioned 670 Electric buses in the states of Maharashtra, Goa, Gujarat and Chandigarh and 241 Charging Stations in Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Gujarat and Port Blair under Phase-II of FAME India Scheme.
What is FAME India Scheme?
- The FAME India (Faster Adoption and Manufacture of (Hybrid and) Electric Vehicles) Scheme is an incentive scheme for the promotion of electric and hybrid vehicles in the country. Ultimate objective of the scheme is to promote electric mobility and the scheme gives financial incentives for enhancing electric vehicle production and creation of electric transportation infrastructure.
- Basically, the incentive is provided in the form of subsidies to manufactures of electric vehicles and infrastrcuture providers of electric vehicles.
- It was launched by the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises in 2015.
- The Scheme operates in two phases.
- Phase I: started in 2015 and was completed on March 31st, 2019.
- Phase II: started from April 1st, 2019, will be completed by March 31st, 2022.
Focus areas of FAME
- The scheme covers Electric and Hybrid technologies like Mild Hybrid, Strong Hybrid, Plug in Hybrid & Battery Electric Vehicles. FAME focuses on 4 areas i.e. Technology development, Demand Creation, Pilot Projects and Charging Infrastructure.
- The second phase is an expanded version of the first phase. FAME India Phase II has a total outlay of Rs 10000 Crores over the period of three years from 1st April 2019 to 2022.
- Allocation for the scheme for 2019-20 is estimated to be at Rs 1,500-crore; Rs 5,000 crore in 2020-21 and Rs 3,500 crore in 2021-22.
- FAME-II will cover buses using EV technology; electric, plug-in hybrid and strong hybrid four wheelers; electric three-wheelers including e-rickshaws and electric two-wheelers.
- For the overall monitoring, sanctioning and implementation of the scheme, an inter-ministerial empowered committee – ‘Project Implementation and Sanctioning Committee’ (PISC) that is headed by the heavy industry secretary, shall be constituted.