Why in News ?
- The Pilibhit Tiger Reserve (PTR - Uttar Pradesh) has bagged international award TX2 for doubling the number of tigers in the past four years.
- Also, the Transboundary Manas Conservation Area or TraMCA (India-Bhutan border) has received the Conservation Excellence Award for 2020.
- Earlier, India’s 2018 Tiger census (once in every four years) had set a Guinness record for being the largest camera-trap wildlife survey.
What is Project Tiger?
- Project Tiger is an initiative launched by the Government of India in the year 1973, to conserve our National animal, the Tiger. The project is centrally sponsored by the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate change and covers 47 Tiger reserves across 18 tiger range states.
What is Project Elephant?
- Project Elephant was also launched by the Government of India in the year 1992, to protect elephants & their habitats, address the man-wildlife conflicts and for the welfare of captive elephants.
||Name of Wildlife Sanctuaries
||Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary
||Chilika Lake Bird Sanctuary
||Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary
||Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary
||Govind Wildlife Sanctuary
||Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary