The Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi has announced that the House would begin a formal impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump to hold him accountable for a “betrayal of his oath of office, betrayal of our national security and betrayal of the integrity of our elections”.
- In a telephone conversation two months ago, Trump is alleged to have pressured Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy to open a corruption investigation in his country against Biden and his son Hunter Biden.
- If Ukrainian President is failed to do so USA will terminate the aid to Ukrain.
Impeachment in USA
- According to the US Constitution the President faces impeachment in cases relating to treason, bribery and other serious crimes.
- Initially impeachment process in the US begins with the House of Representatives which requires a simple majority to pass.
- After hearing, two-thirds majority is required to approve impeachment in the Senate.
- No President has been removed by impeachment in US history so far.